PARAPROSDOKIANS (Winston Churchill loved them) are figures of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected and frequently humorous:
1. Where there’s a will, I want to be in it.
2. The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it’s still on my list.
3. Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
4. If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
5. We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.
6. War does not determine who is right – only who is left..
7. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
8. They begin the evening news with ‘Good Evening,’ then proceed to tell you why it isn’t.
9. To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.
10. Buses stop in bus stations. Trains stop in train stations. On my desk is a work station.
11. I thought I wanted a career. Turns out I just wanted paychecks.
12. I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
13. I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
14. Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.
15. Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
16. A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory.
17. You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
18. Money can’t buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.
19. I used to be indecisive. Now I’m not so sure.
20. To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
21. Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be.
22. Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
23. Going to church doesn’t make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
24. I am neither for nor against apathy.
25 Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
26 I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
27 How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
28 Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.
29 The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
30 Always borrow money from a pessimist. He won’t expect it back.
31 Hospitality: making your guests feel like they’re at home, even if you wish they were.
32 A bus is a vehicle that runs twice as fast when you are after it as when you are in it.
33 When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.
34 Some cause happiness wherever they go. Others whenever they go.